Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Advancing to the Final Dance Round


Saturday night, after many long days of rehearsal with lots of sweat, sore muscles and even a bloody nose or two, Brandon and I rocked the dance floor at the Chicago Theater for the Performing Arts advancing to the next round of competition. I was soooo excited, not only because I tried so hard, but because I really wanted to continue working with Brandon and learn more beautiful dance moves! After failing to reach my goal at Miss USA, this felt wonderful. My face beamed, I could see my mom as happy as could be in the audience, and I was just plain HAPPY. The hard work paid off -- and it was a BLAST. Brandon and I will start rehearsing for the final competition to be held in Chicago on August 7th. I am so so so pumped!! Who knew I could even dance at all, and now here I am advancing to the final round. Wow!

So theeeeen ... this morning I read something in a book that really hit home:
"Most people live and die with their music still unplayed. They never dare to try. Why? Because they lack self-confidence. Women, especially, have so much potential they never tap."

This really got me thinking because all my life, I never would have guessed that I would participate in the Miss USA Pageant. I never thought I'd throw out the first pitch at the Cubs game. I never thought I'd have 4 different business cards at one time, and I never thought I'd be the star in a 'dancing with the stars' competition and get to work with, in my opinion, the best dancer there ever was. Throughout my life I have tried so many things and failed them, but I never stopped exploring new opportunities. But I have to ask -- why women? Why are women the ones that fail to tap into their natural gifts? This really bugs me. I may have 'failed' at Miss USA among other things, but it opened up doors to try so many other avenues I never would have discovered otherwise! I suppose my greatest failures have lead me to my greatest adventures. Try and try again, as they say -- its worth it!

It has been said, "We fail forward to success. We learn from our failures. The person who never fails never attempts anything." I think getting back up when you're down and trying again is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Not only to experience all of the amazing things life has to offer, but also to give yourself a new thrill every now and then -- to have something for which to strive, something to be excited for, and something to dream about.

OK I'm done being a philosopher for now ... but think about it. Have you explored your inner gifts? If not, you should. YOU CAN DO ANYTHING if you put your mind to it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment