Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Motivation

Saturday evening, Brandon and I competed in the DWI4 Latin Rhythms dance competition. We rocked the show with a nearly flawless performance, and the crowd went wild. As nervous as I was right before getting on stage, hearing the audience cheer that way was the most exhilarating feeling I've had in a long time, and all my nerves turned to excitement. My advice to anyone who is ever watching a stage performance ... be a good audience! It brings so much more life into the performer, and you will definitely see a better show. The cheering helped my confidence, which improved my dancing, which made the show more exciting to watch. I can't wait to get the video and watch it from an audience view! I am so so so happy I had this opportunity to learn to dance, and I can't wait to continue learning at Latin Rhythms this fall. Look out for me next summer at DWI5!

***************

Last week, I attended a business/leadership seminar in Dallas, Texas. I was hesitant to go since it was a lot of money and I just left my full time job to pursue other interests, but I'm so glad I decided to go through with it. It was extremely motivating, and at some parts even made me cry with the stories they were presenting to us. Who knew a business seminar could be so powerful? One thing that really touched me is when one woman said this:

"God didn't have time to make a nobody. He only had time to make a somebody -- and that is you."

I thought this was an awesome quote, because its true! I keep thinking about the girls who will be competing in the Miss Illinois USA pageant this year, and as I've said in past blog posts ... it makes me excited. I remember this time one year ago, I was at the gym twice a day, thinking about what my evening gown would be, practicing my interview with my parents, and just focusing 100% on the goal I wanted more than anything in the world to achieve. I was just being myself ... a recent graduate, living at home, working a new job, wondering whether or not I would ever make my dreams come true. Little did I know in just a few short months, my life would be changed drastically. It could happen to anyone. If you just realize that you were meant for greatness and put your heart and soul into it, it could be YOU with that crown on your head in November. WHO KNOWS! But what better way to find out if Miss Illinois USA 2011 is your destiny than by giving it your best shot?

Something else that touched me at the seminar is, "If your friends don't laugh at you, your goals aren't big enough." I remember my first year trying for Miss Illinois USA I didn't tell anyone I was doing it. I didn't want to spread the news and come home without anything to show for it. But after I had that first experience I knew I had to let people know my intentions if I was going to make it happen. I told everyone. Friends, family, even strangers! It kept me accountable. A lot of people were shocked when I told them, because back then I didn't even wear make-up let alone high heels, but it gave me something to prove, I think. If everyone in my life knew I was trying to be the next Miss Illinois USA, I had to follow through. My thought was, "Even if I go home without the crown, I'll know I gave it my 100% BEST effort, and that's just the way it was meant to happen."

The trick with pageantry ... or with ANY aspect of life ... is that you simply cannot wait for your ship to come in. You have to swim out and get it. If you want something badly enough, you will find a way to get it. For me right now, there are many things I wish to achieve, but of course, some of them or closer to my heart than others. What is it for you? What do you want more than anything in the world? Now ... how do you go about getting it?

I am sooo excited for the coming months, as I'm sure many of the women in training and preparation right now are too. My wish to you is to enjoy the journey, and get help where you need it. Ask me, ask your friends, your family ... but set that goal for yourself and turn it into a reality. If you're going to bother dreaming at all, you might as well dream big ... and if you're going to bother trying, you may as well try your best. GET IT, GIRL!

0 comments:

Post a Comment